Stage Door Blog | Broadway

    I found Angel de Quinta’s stage door blog very interesting. Similarly to the opera scene, I am not that big into broadway. I have seen a few before, but none of them really sparked an interest for me. I obviously hadn't seen enough examples because I found quite a few of the videos that Angel posted pretty interesting.
    Probably the broadway that stuck out to me the most was HAIR. I watched both versions that Angel posted. The first one was from 1968 and had a very late 60's early 70's vibe to it. One thing I discovered while watching this performance was that there was a lot of color. Almost every character had a different colored outfit and the setting was covered with many bright, appealing colors. This feature really made the video pop and when i first saw it, it really caught my eye.
    The other version of Hair that Angel posted was from 2009. It was a performance of one of the broadway's songs on David Letterman. Doing some research, I found out that the stage that the 2009 performers used was the exact same stage that the original crew used 40 years before on Ed Sullivan. That's a pretty incredible coincidence! Another thing I noticed about this new version was the fact that all of the songs were female led. In the 1968 version, all of the same songs were male led. I think this is a prime example of how much we as society have changed throughout the years. Overall, HAIR seems like a very fun and appealing play to me. I will definitely have to go check it out.
    One other broadway video that caught my eye was a 2014 trailer for a broadway rendition of Charlie and the Chocolate factory. This seemed very weird to me. Someone was making a broadway of a film that was a remake of another film. Kind of a crazy idea to wrap your mind around. Nevertheless, it seemed like a very quality broadway. Similarly to HAIR, there was a lot of color, only this time it was used more as emphasis for certain characters. The spotlight that shined on the performers really brought out the colors and made them look glorified. There also seemed to be a lot of choreography which I always find intriguing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASCII Art

Flip Book Animation

Performance Art | Sick, Injured Man