Madama Butterfly

     Madama Butterfly is definitely an interesting opera, but it has so much to say and I found the whole idea very touching. The artist of the claymation really doesn't hold back which I love. It's very avant-garde and it's something you don't expect from an animation like this one. I think another part of the reason is to show how important this man is to the woman in a very uncensored manor. From the looks of it, it seems as if they are in a very devoted relationship, but that later appears to be far from the truth. The ending was also pretty intense and non filtered, but again, I think it was something that worked better.
     I also liked a lot of the metaphors that this opera used. The whole concept of the baby attached to its mom by a string was very clever. It saddened me when that string is finally broken, but that was the point and I don't think this scene would have been as sad if there wasn't that metaphor in the video. Later in the film, you can see that the daughter is grown and now pulling the mom on the string which I also thought was pretty interesting. I feel as if this shows that the mother now needs the daughter more than the other way around.
     In addition to this, the animals seemed to act as metaphors for characters in the video. The fish being broken out of a fish tank and being comforted by the mother clearly represents the baby. It even cries and whales like a human baby. There is also a butterfly that appears often throughout the video. In my opinion, this is a metaphor for the woman. It's always following her and could represent her strong and freewill spirit.
     Overall, I thought this opera was very good. The way that the music incorporates with the characters and their emotions really works well. It's because of this, I think, that I felt sad for the mother and mad at the father for example. The quality of the animation didn't have to be good for us to still understand what was going on which is hard to do.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASCII Art

Flip Book Animation

Performance Art | Sick, Injured Man